Monday 12 August 2013

Training Review - Week 32 - August 5 to 11


Monday I had a day off to recover from Knockburn.

Tuesday I did an easy loop around Dyce. Legs are still a bit stiff. OK, a lot stiff.

Wednesday I went out to Knockburn. Having missed my target time for the run on Sunday I figured I would take a jog round it on fresher legs just to see what I could have done. I was surprisingly tired still and the rain wasn't very enjoyable, but I ran the course in 46 minutes. On one hand I was a bit annoyed that I hadn't run a bit quicker at the weekend, on the other hand I was pleased that with empty legs, in the rain, no adrenaline, no-one to race on the same hilly course and taking it relatively easy I have a 46 minute ~10k in my legs.

Then I went in for 3 laps round the loch. About 12 minutes a lap. Feeling nice and easy still. The water is definitely getting colder though. I will take a trip next week just for a last easy swim in my taper. By the time I recover from Aberfeldy it may be getting a bit chilly to go back in, but will see how it goes.

Thursday and Friday the Aberdeen weather decided to help me out with my tapering.

Saturday I was struggling for motivation but managed to drag myself out on the TT bike. Did an easy 23 mile loop. Trying not to work hard but kept catching myself tucking into the tri-bars and turning up the gas. Then I charged the battery and tucked away the TT bike for next weekend.

Sunday I went to spectate and take photos at Westhill triathlon. Rolled over quite easily on the road bike, tootled around the larger loop in reverse with a few photo stops, then rolled home again. Came straight in and did a mile on the treadmill, just because I have a lack of brick sessions in my plan lately and was a mile short of my weekly target.


At the start of the year biking 50 and running 10 in the same week felt like some sort of huge achievement. Now doing it as an easy week going into my taper and I feel like I have been ridiculously lazy all week.

For the year I have now biked 1,572 miles. 10 more than in the whole of 2012. By the end of next week I will have passed my original 1,612mile bike target for this year. 

I will also pass through 488 miles of running. Doubling my 2012 running total. And depending on how many miles I cover on my easy runs this week I could also find myself through 500 running miles for the year, against a target total of 520 for the year. 

And I could also swim through 52 miles which as my total for the whole of 2012.

A few people asked me today if I was ready for Aberfeldy next week. I am a lot more ready than I planned to be. I think I will finish. I think if the weather is kind I can do a time I am happy with. I don't like the bike course, but there is nothing I can do about that, or to prepare myself better for it. 

All that is left to do is have an easy week an make sure I get to the start line ready to race.



So targets for last week (Week 32) were:

Target totals - Swim >1 miles. Bike >50 miles. Run >10 miles. 2 short core and 2 short stretching sessions. 

Actuals were:


Monday - Rest and recovery day.


Tuesday -  Easy jog 5k in 27 mins.


Wednesday - 6 mile run in 46 mins. 1.3mile swim in 47 mins.

Thursday - Rest day. 


Friday - Rest day.


Saturday - TT bike 22.7 miles, 1 hr 20mins.


Sunday -  Road bike 27.4 miles, 1 hr 56mins. Treadmill run 1mile in 9mins.


Result - 
Swim 1.3 miles (1,800 m). Bike 50.1 miles. Run 10.1 miles. 0 core and 0 stretching sessions.

No comments:

Post a Comment