Monday 25 November 2013

Training Review - Week 47 - November 18 to 24


Monday, basic swim with TPT. Lots of breathing work this week. Still can't breathe properly to the left.  Also did a few turns. They are gradually improving but still not usable for races.


Tuesday, I had a bit of a sore throat and it was very icy out, so I decided to play safe and take the night off. 


Wednesday was a run in rain. It was pretty stormy and I am still not feeling 100%. Not sure if I have the very edge of a cold or if it is just my immune system reacting to the flu jab. Had a really sore throat in the morning, but a days worth of strepsils and the odd paracetamol were covering it up enough to run.


Thursday night is date night. So another trip to the cinema. Went to see Frankenstein again. But this time with Johnny Lee Miller and Benedict Cumberbatch in the opposite roles to three weeks ago. I thought it was better this way round. Johnny was equally good as the monster, but Benedict was a better doctor frankenstein.


Friday was mountain biking in the dark at Kirkhill. This was confirmation that I am not quite fully healthy. Purposefully tried to chase a couple of Strava sections, but despite working harder, I couldn't even match my own times from a week ago. 


I did a big write up for saturday, but then saved over it. So here we go again with a shortened version.

I went out with Deeside for their long Saturday ride. Plan was for 60 miles. First hill we got to and I went straight out the back of the pack. I thought initially that it was the rest of the group being too ambitious with their early pace while I was being sensible, but every time we got near an uphill the same thing was happening. And on the downhills and flats where I can normally chase back on, absolutely nothing was happening. Made it to the toilet stop at 27 miles, but I knew before then that I wasn't going to survive 60. 

At this point I should have bailed and taken the main road solo and gone for 50. Instead I decided to stick with them for the next section. They blew me out the back again on the climb out of town and I lost sight of the whole group, and didn't know where the next turn was. I stuck with going straight on the assumption that they would stop and wait for me if they turned off the main road. They didn't. However, they did spot that I was missing and sent someone back to chase me down and a couple of them then paced me back to the group. Put about an extra half mile or so onto the route.

I was still really struggling back in the group. So the next time we got back to the main road I bailed on them. I stopped in Aboyne to get some soup and a sandwich and defrost my toes. Then I took the main road and solo-ed the last 12 miles back to Banchory. Totalled out at 58.4 miles for the day. This is my fourth longest day ever. Takes me to 1998 bike miles for the year so far.

Sunday was an easy run just to finish out the miles for the week. I say easy but my legs were really suffering from Saturday so it was a bit of a struggle to drag round. Got my miles in for the week though. 

It has been a while since I had a week where I have done decent swim, run and bike miles. Definitely suffering for it on Sunday evening. Did miss my chance for a race today, but not really bothered by it. Roads weren't great for riding on this weekend so wouldn't have felt comfortable pushing the TT bike, and still not sure if I am sick or not. Coughing and sore throat and a bit of a headache this morning.

Weight is back under target. But I have been eating junk all week so not sure how I have managed that.



So targets for last week (Week 47) were: 
Swim >1 miles. Bike >40 miles. Run >12 miles. 1 short core, 1 short light weights and 1 short stretching sessions. 30mins of wii yoga. 
Get weight back under 80kg.

Actuals were:

Monday - Swim with TPT. 2,000m in 56 mins.

Tuesday - Rest day.

Wednesday - 7.2 miles, 64 mins.

Thursday -  Cinema day - Frankenstein.

Friday - MTB at Kirkhill, 5.5 miles in 55mins.

Saturday - Ride with DTCC 45.8 miles in 3 hours 06mins. Solo ride from Aboyne to Banchory 12.6 miles in 47 mins.


Sunday - Run 5.8 miles in 52 mins. 10 mins of yoga.




Result - Swim 1.3 miles (2,000m). Bike 63.9 miles. Run 13.0 miles. 0 short core, 0 short light weights and 0 short stretching sessions. 1mins of wii yoga. 
Weight 79.5 kg

No comments:

Post a Comment