Monday 16 December 2013

Training Review - Week 50 - Dec 9 to 15

Should get nearly 4 weeks of heavy training in from here before I go back to work in January. 

Plan was to start fairly easy on Monday with a short run in the morning. First mile was good, second mile was ok, third mile was a horrible staggering mess. But I got round, which was the target for the day. Swimming, I expected to struggle with the session as it was very shoulder biased, including pushups between sets. 

Tuesday was meant to be an easy short bike ride. 10 miles, no problem. But plans change. After a puncture and a tube change at 4 miles I thought I was sorted. Tyres didn't look in the best shape as I was doing the change but they weren't going to fail any time soon. So on I went only to snap my rear gear cable at mile 9. Fortunately stuck in a ride-able gear and was able to roll home. A trip to Halfords later and I had the cable replaced, and new tyres waiting to go on before my next wet ride. So just clicking through the gears to check everything and decide to check the brakes as well. Brakes on, stops dead, brakes off… not happening. The spring that is meant to release them is jammed. Looks like a whole new set of callipers needed. 

Wednesday I went for a wee swim. Plan was to see how far I could swim in the 12-1:30 lunchtime lane session, with a view to deciding about doing the 5k swim race next weekend.  First into the pool, I avoided the really fast lane on the assumption that some fish would want to come in and do a sprint session. Jumped in the next lane and started ticking away. Was right about the fish, about 6 of them turned up and started churning up the fast lane, causing a lot of wash for me to deal with. But I just ignored it and ticked on, and on, and on. Turns out that in the 81mins from getting in the water to being thrown out I can cover 4,000m. That puts me on course for 1:42 for 5k. That is my longest ever single swim session, in time and distance. Also makes this my longest ever swim week, with still another planned session on Friday. I am going to try the same, but without my tri-suit this time to test the difference, since I am not allowed to race in it. Also realised I couldn't fit my light weights session into anywhere else in the week so did them late in the afternoon.

Thursday was out for another Xmas lunch, but managed to squeeze a run in to the morning. Started with my normal 3 mile loop but then half way round I realised that was going to leave me looking for 9 on Saturday and then trying to bike 56 on Sunday, which might be a bit much. So I slowed it down a little and stretched it to just over 4.7 miles. 

Friday I went for another wee swim. Only 2,500m this time. Was suffering a bit from Tuesday's long effort. It is definitely slower without the tri-suit as well. Think my pacing is going to be about right for 5k though. I can steadily tick along at 21mins per km comfortably, 20mins/km at a push and 19mins/km starts to cause problems. Just have to make sure that I go at my pace and try not to get sucked into someone else's.

Saturday I planned a longer run but wasn't really in the mood for it and a nasty headwind wasn't helping. Did my short loop instead. 

Sunday was a ride with the Kintore Sunday group. Was a really nasty day. Very windy and cold. I purposefully got myself into the slow group, which didn't really help. The fast group rolled past us within the first 10 miles and they kept stopping to wait for us, but every time we arrived at their rest spot they rolled on so I never got a proper recovery stop or change to eat. This eventually resulted in me running too low on energy and really struggling. The last 20 miles I would go fine for 5 minutes then run out of gas and get spat out the back again. I tried to eat a cereal bar on the move and ended up dropping it because my fingers were too cold. it was not an enjoyable day. even the few bits where I was enjoying ticking along at a decent pace, that meant more cold.

For the week as a whole it has been pretty good. Got back under my current weight target, back to 79.5kg. Managed to get out and do something every day. Managed a massive swim total, by far my longest week in the pool ever. Could have done to stretch each of my runs a little but they were all tough as they were, maybe a case for going a little slower and further next week. 



Target totals - Swim >2.5 miles. Bike >60 miles. Run >15 miles. 2 short core, 2 short light weights and 2 short stretching sessions. 90mins of wii yoga. 

Get weight back under 80kg!

Monday - Run round Dyce 3.1 miles 27mins. Swim with TPT, 2,100m in 56 mins.

Tuesday -  Easy road bike 10 miles in 66 mins.

Wednesday - Long swim. 4,000m in 1hr 21. Light weights.

Thursday -  Short run 4.7 miles in 40mins. Works Xmas lunch (Another one of many). 
Date night - Frozen, yet another solid Disney film that won't win best animation.

Friday - Long swim. 2,500m in 51mins.

Saturday - Short run 3.5 miles in 29 mins. Xmas Jumper Party. Stretching.

Sunday - Long ride 56.1 miles in 4 hrs 15. Light weights.


Actual totals - Swim 5.3 miles. Bike 66.1 miles. Run 11.3 miles. 0 short core, 2 short light weights and 1 short stretching sessions. 0 mins of wii yoga.

Weight 79.5kg.

No comments:

Post a Comment