Monday 23 December 2013

Training Review - Week 51 - December 16 to 22


Another fairly easy start to the week. Still suffering a bit from the long Sunday ride. Went for a lunchtime run with a friend, and then completely rewrote my plan based on her plans for the week. Looks like I am going to double up on sessions for the Mon-Wed and lose my rest day to an easy pedal, also the lengths on runs are going to go up as I jog to her work and back on top of my already planned runs. So the planned easy 3 mile run on Monday turned into a slightly less easy 6.5. Then doubled up with a swim session. Was a split drills and pace session, totalled out at 2,100m. 


Tuesday I planned to bike in the morning and then run with a friend at lunchtime. But the morning got filled up with christmas shopping and then my friend couldn't make it at lunchtime. I had already set off for my run planning to meet her half way, so I carried on and managed a steady 5 miles. Another uninspiring, but solid session. The weather was too cold and windy to go out on the bike so I skipped it. 

Wednesday was meant to be another double session but really struggled with my swim. Cut it to just a 1,000m at 5k pace. Shoulders and back were really stiff, so just ticked through it to try and ease them off. Again it was much too windy to ride, so stuck to the single session again.


Holiday boredom finally reached a serious level today. Was awake at 8, then went back to sleep till after 10. There is just no point in getting up, as I have nothing to do. I am still short of one Xmas present, but not particularly bothered about it. This is all a recipe for depression. I have managed to fill out the time till now by doing little jobs for other people. I have some DIY jobs that I could do to fill in bits of time, but I can't find the motivation to start any of them. I have now been awake for less than 8 hours and all I want to do now is go back to bed. 


Thursday, as predicted things are continuing to slide. My body clock is now way out of line. I didn't get to sleep till after 3 and then slept through till 10. When I did get up I couldn't find any motivation to go for today's run. I tried to convinced myself it was better to have two rest days going into saturdays swim race. And that the weather was too nasty to go out in. And that my knee could use the rest. None of those are true, they are all just lame excuses to cover my lack of motivation.


Friday I was being equally lazy. But this time resting up for racing is a more valid reason. I did manage to get up in the morning and get on with some other small things. And I did a bit of stretching in the evening to try and loosen off some of the worst bits before racing tomorrow.

Saturday. Race day. Still struggled to get out of bed in the morning. But by 11am I was in gear and having to manage my time. I decided to sacrifice my lag hair in the chase for a few seconds of swim time, and my chest hair since tri-suits were not allowed. I started with the razor, but took a chunk out of my shin on the first stroke, and decided to switch to the magic cream instead. Note to self; do not get Veet cream anywhere near your nipples in future! After that it was lunch and then off to the venue. Separate blog for that coming on Tuesday.

Sunday I decided I wasn't going to manage the long ride so went for a short mtb ride instead. Not short enough as it turns out. About 6 miles in I thought I had a mechanical on an uphill section. Felt like the brakes had jammed on and I assumed the QR on the rear wheel had slipped. I stepped off the bike, gave everything a check, seemed ok, got back on, and then fell off in a heap of exhaustion. I tried a couple of times to get up and walk, but had to sit and wait for about 8 minutes till I was able to get up and pedal on, slowly. I might just have been out of energy from the race on Saturday, but it certainly didn't feel like that. Will see how things go the next couple of days.


Overall it looks like a terrible week against plan, but the 5k swim race covers everything. Second huge swim week in a row, and a much better time than I had hoped for.

Snuck my weight in just under the 80kg mark.


Target totals - Swim >4 miles. Bike >50 miles. Run >12 >18 miles. 2 short core, 2 short light weights and 2 short stretching sessions. 90mins of wii yoga. 

Keep weight under 80kg.


Monday - Run round Dyce 6.5 miles, in 59 mins. 

Swim with TPT, 2,100m in 48 mins. Stretching session.

Tuesday - Run around Dyce 5.0 miles, in 45 mins.

Wednesday - Easy swim 1,000m in 20 mins.


Thursday -  Nothing.


Friday - Rest day.

Saturday - 5k swim race. 1hr 38:03. Separate blog to follow.

Sunday - MTB, 8miles in 1hr 20mins.


Actual totals - Swim 5.1 miles (8,150m). Bike 8.0 miles. Run 11.5 miles. 0 short core, 0 short light weights and 2 short stretching sessions. 0 mins of wii yoga.

Weight 79.8kg.

No comments:

Post a Comment