Monday 1 April 2013

Training Review - Week 13 - March 25 to 31

Higher targets set for this week. 

Monday was a decent start to the week. Sunday night was the first proper night's sleep I have had in a couple of weeks. At swimming lane 3 was pretty crowded so I dropped back into lane 2. But about a quarter of the way through the session I was lapping everyone, and lane 3 had settled in to a pack, so I moved up mid-session. 

Tuesday it was snowing, and cold. I wrapped myself up in a couple of extra layers and went out to do my loop around Dyce, but all the way round I was having trouble breathing in the cold air. I was a minute slower than last week, which I can mostly attribute to the weather. I jumped from 4th place to 2nd on the Strava segment I was hoping to top this week. Missing the tops spot by only 9 seconds. However, this has actually meant that I am more miffed about not checking my satellites last week. I was a minute quicker last week, which should be about 25 seconds over the segment and would have put me comfortably top. I am not planning this loop again on my own any time soon so it will be a while before I get another shot at it.

Decided I might try some of this "social life" people have been telling me about. Which is going to hit Thursday and Friday training. So I decided to pull Thursday's swim in to Wednesday. Because I had to survive the session and get home in time for Tesco this meant I had to cut my brick down. I decided to keep the hour on the bike but step the pace up slightly and then do the same run as last week. I then got away from work late and had to trim another 10 minutes off the run. Did manage a good swim though. And felt fine after the triple session. 

I had half a thought about doing Moray Roadrunners 10k on Sunday but these changes mean I am way short on run miles and need to find 10 at the weekend. Trying to put that in with a 10k race would leave me then needing a 4 mile warm down. Or trying to do a brick on the Saturday. Neither option would result in me doing a decent race so going to skip it and stick with doing a proper long run instead.

Thursday - Rest day. Getting much better at sticking to these.

Friday - Rest day. Did fit my new mtb brakes though. So should hopefully get out on the it sometime next week. Especially with the clocks changing. They deprive me of an hour of sleep somewhere, but give me an hour in the evening where I should be able to see well enough to ride.

Saturday - I planned to tie two of my run routes together in a figure of 8 to make a 10 mile route. Didn't realise how much they overlapped and it turned out to be only 8.7 miles. There are a couple of small sections I can add to it next time to get it over 10. The bright side of being short means it leaves me looking for just over a mile on the Sunday so I am going to do a short run off the end of my long ride.

Sunday - I was going to head out with a group ride from Kintore but the thermometer still said -3 degrees when I had to leave to meet them so I decided to skip that and wait till later in the day. I went out instead on my own for a 21 mile ride once the needle hit zero.

Nice and easy recovery ride just to finish off my miles for the week. New chain took a while to bed in, but seemed ok after about 10 minutes and has now settled to the point that I can't find the joint pin. Most of the route was through Aberdeen so was almost a technical bike-handling session avoiding the potholes and the discourteous drivers. Definitely some work to do here. I am much more cautious than I was pre-crash and it is costing me a lot of time in and out of corners.

Completely forgot I was meant to run off the end of it though.



So targets for last week (Week 13) were:

Swim >1.5 miles Bike >40 miles. Run >15 miles. A core or stretching session. 

Actuals were:
Monday - Swim with TPT, 2,075m in 55mins. And a core session.


Tuesday - Dyce loop. 5k in 24mins. And another core session.


Wednesday - Gym Brick; Exercise bike 19.1 miles in an hour, treadmill 2 miles in 18mins. Swim 1,000m in 22mins. And yet another core session.

Thursday - Rest Day

Friday - Rest Day

Saturday - Dyce Figure 8 run. 8.7 miles, 1 hour 18.

Sunday - Random 21 ride. 21miles 1hr 28. 


Result - 
Swim 1.9 miles ( 3,075 m). Bike 40.1miles. Run 13.8 miles. 3 core and 1 stretching / rollering session.

No comments:

Post a Comment