Monday 18 March 2013

Training Review - Week 11 - March 11 to 17

Monday I was back in the lane 3 for my swim session. The set was half drills and half swimming so I was really pleased to get to 2,000m.

Tuesday's run was a struggle. We took a new route, just for a change. it is slightly shorter, and was slightly slower. Really heavy legs again. Have checked my diary and still can't find a link.

Wednesday's brick was an improvement on last week. I did the whole planned hour on the bike and did twice as much of my run as last week. Still well short of the 45min run I planned but it is massively harder to bike then run than it is to run then bike. As long as I am improving that session week on week I don't mind taking a few more weeks to build it back up to the full 1 hr and 45mins.

Thursday I skipped my swimming plan for another cinema trip (Oz the Great and Powerful - not great or powerful but even dyed green with a fake latex nose and chin I would still do unspeakable things to Mila Kunis). I did get time to fit in a 20 minute treadmill though. 

Saturday started like an ok ride in the cold. For the first 40 minutes or so it was chilly but not too bad. Then we hit the first rain shower and then a snow flurry. We backed off the pace as the roads got slidy but the build up of snow on the outside of my jacket suggested that I had enough layers on and was managing to keep the heat in. At about 1 hour 25 we had a 2 minute food and comfort stop in Dinnet, and dusted off some of the worst of the snow. After this I thought I was just a bit cold again but the next half hour went rapidly downhill. Enough of the snow had got through my jackets and run down inside inside my gloves that my fingers started to freeze. By the time we got to Aboyne and I had done 5 miles without being able to brake or change gears I decided to call it a day and went to hide in a coffee shop and wait for a rescue. I am still symptomatic trying to type this after 4 hours, a hot bath, two bowls of chilli and so many coffees I have lost count. A combination of Wikipedia, NHS Direct website and the erratic download from my cadence sensor suggests I was well into moderate hypothermia. 

Lessons learned for future though. Including, do not have a hot bath until you are properly warmed up. NHS Direct website told me this after I was out of the bath. But I can confirm their warning that it did screw up my heart rate and took a lot of the blood and oxygen away from my brain, and probably my other major organs. So, as much as it seems like a good idea to get warm quickly, even after 3 hours of gradual warming, be careful if your extremities are still cold!

Sunday I was looking for 400m swim and 3 mile run to finish off my week. Did 800m swim at Bucksburn then an easy 3 mile run in 26 mins. No major problems after Saturday.



So targets for last week (Week 11) were:
Swim >1.5 miles Bike >31 miles. Run >10 miles. A core or stretching session. 

Actuals were:

Monday - Swim with TPT, 2,000m in Lane 3.

Tuesday - Jog around Dyce. New route. 2.7 miles, 23mins.

Wednesday - Gym Brick. 1 hour, 18.5 miles exercise bike. 18 mins, 2 miles treadmill. 

Thursday -  Cinema getting in the way of swimming again. 20mins on treadmill, 2.3 miles.

Friday - Rest day. Light stretching and a bit of rollering.

Saturday - Long ride. 27.3 miles in 2 hours. 

Sunday - Swim 800m, 30 mins. And easy 3 mile run in 25:45.

Result - 
Swim 1.7 miles (2,800 m). Bike 45.8 miles. Run 10.0 miles. 1 x stretching / rollering session.

No comments:

Post a Comment