Monday 20 May 2013

Training Review - Week 20 - May 13 to 19

Monday I was having big problems with cramp during swimming and couldn't get rid of it.  Eventually gave up the session early. That is two days in a row I have had to quit swim sessions. For different reasons, but not a trend I want to continue. The cause of the cramp seems to have been my shoulder and back tightening up. So next stretching session I will specifically target back and shoulders

Tuesday I expected to struggle on my run after monday's back problems. And wearing the same shoes as Sunday so thought I might have the same trouble with blisters. But no such problems. The last few weeks have definitely been a step change in my running. 1 hour / 7 mile runs are suddenly feeling really easy. Did my 10-minute stretching session, then did another 5 minutes of back and shoulder stretches.


Wednesday I did a really short brick in the gym. Just had enough time to clear my legs out before going to see Star Trek Into Darkness again.


Thursday I went for an easy brick with a friend. I took the shiny new TT bike for it's first proper outing. Did an easy 17 miles in just over an hour, but 95% of that was just sat up, having a chat and turning the pedals. Even without pushing it or spending much time on the aeros it is still clearly quicker and rolls along the road better than my normal road bike. Then straight off the bike went for a 1 hour run. Covered 7.3 miles in just over an hour. Similar pace to Tuesday evening runs but managing that off the bike was good.


Friday I had a proper rest day. It was properly boring. I did a core session in the evening.

Saturday morning I went for an easy solo ride. Planned 30 miles but the weather was hard work in the wind and the rain was just starting to get worse as I neared home on my loop, so didn't bother with trying to add extras and rolled home in just under 23 miles.

Sunday I went for a long run. Still not quite figured out how to tie the loops around Dyce and the airport so my planned 9 turned into 9.5, would have been 10 if I hadn't taken a last minute shortcut. Some training days you learn new things. I still get a lot of these on bike and swim days but I don't often get these on running days at 22 years in. But I do occasionally relearn old things that I had forgotten. Today I relearned that a big bag of peanuts should not be consumed the night before a long run.

I was planning to round out my week by riding to the pool and grabbing the rest of the swim that I cut short on Monday but the pool was closed. I did put in my remaining core and stretching sessions for the week. And I did a XX second plank.

I am still having some problems with my shoulder and back since Monday, I have been trying to self massage the bits I can reach and stretch the rest but not really making any improvement. So I have given up and strapped myself up with the electric shock machine for an hour to see if that helps.

For the week I am slightly down on bike and swim numbers. But highest run mileage since a similar week January, and spread over only 3 and a bit runs instead of 5.


So targets for last week (Week 20) were:

Swim >1 mile. Bike >50 miles. Run >20 miles. 3 short core and 3 short stretching sessions. 

Actuals were:
Monday - 
Swim with TPT, 1,000m in 35 mins.

Tuesday - 7 miles run in 62mins.

Stretching session, with extra back and shoulders.

Wednesday - Short Gym brick. Exercise bike 12 mins, 4 miles. Treadmill 12 mins, 1.5 miles

Thursday - TT bike, easy 17.1 miles, 1 hr 10. Run 7.3 miles, 1 hour 4. Stretching session.

Friday - Rest day. Core session.

Saturday - Easy ride 22.7 miles, 1 hr 31mins.

Core session.

Sunday - Long run 9.5 miles, 1 hr 24 mins.

Plank 40s
Core session.
Stretching session.


Result - 
Swim 0.62 mile (1,000 m). Bike 43.8 miles. Run 25.3 miles. 3 core and 3 stretching sessions.

No comments:

Post a Comment