Monday 27 May 2013

Training Review - Week 21 - May 20 to 26

Monday - Shoulder and back still hurt. Did about 2/3 of swim session. But had all but given up after 10 minutes and was just paddling lengths instead of doing the prescribed session.

Tuesday - Kwik fit refused to MOT my mondeo because 50 miles of fuel "might not be enough". Then told me I need to rebook, but they can't do it for a month, then tried to charge me for the MOT they hadn't done. Told them to fuck off and had a rant at their customer services. Engine management light came on in the Range Rover. Warranty phone line doesn't get answered. Was meant to go mountain biking but adjustable seat post is broken. Only used it once. Had another rant at Wiggle. 


Wednesday during the day was pretty terrible. Went out to Knockburn anyway with a view to at least doing something. Met a couple of friends there who were about to go in the water. Decided to stick with my run first so got changed and went out for a basic 4-mile loop. That is now over 300 run miles for the year.


Then I had a go in the water. It was pretty cold still, but once I was going it wasn't too bad. Managed two laps, both under 12 mins. Either one of those would have been my fastest lap last year, and neither of them were pushing particularly hard.

Thursday I planned a quick brick before going to the cinema. Cinema got cancelled, but kept the short brick. Did a quick 5k on the treadmill then an easy 5 miles on the exercise bike. Then went to help a friend move house. Feeling much better than Tuesday already.


Friday. Weekend plans have got a bit out of hand, so need to keep my rest day today. Went to Hangover 3, not great, but worth sitting through for the bit after the credits. Then my best friend said she was leaving the country for at least 3 months. Probably not the best week for that. 


Saturday, well I mentioned above that the weekend plans had got out of hand. So Saturday I was talked into going for an 85-mile bike ride. I spent a while coming up with a nice route that should have looked like this.

Unfortunately I didn't quite know it well enough, so we ended up doing this instead: 




Turns out that the route we actually took is 90.5 miles instead of the planned 85. And also turns out that shooting along at 17mph for the first 2 and a half hours has consequences when it gets hilly later.

A couple of weeks ago I did my previous longest ride ever and produced a list of new top performances  but this ride eclipses the biggest ones:
Longest bike ride ever - 90.5 miles, (previous was 81.2 miles).
Longest time ever for a single exercise session 6 hours 28mins, [the 5:54 it shows above excludes stops] (previous was 5 hours 16 two weeks ago).
Second most climbing on a single ride 4,124 ft? Think Strava has this wrong as today was definitely more hilly than the 81 that they think holds this. 

But that is only half a weekend. And it didn't kill me. So Sunday I was talked into going for a ridiculously long run and a swim to finish out my week. The idea was to run about 16miles then swim one. However, the weather and a bit of common sense made an appearance at about the 7 mile mark on the run. I was really struggling with the heat and the tired legs from Saturday so bailed out at 8 miles, and walked the last mile back to the car park. Then managed to go in for a swim but took two easy laps and decided that was enough for the week.

So the totals for the week come out a bit short of targets. Stretching and core sessions are done on my own, when I feel like it, so they were always going to be first to fall off if I had depression problems. But the numbers include a stupidly long bike ride on the Saturday and three swims, including two outdoors. After such a bad start to the week and missing Tuesday with the broken bike it was good to end up so close to the targets.


So targets for last week (Week 21) were:

Swim >2.5 miles. Bike >65 miles. Run >20 miles. 3 short core and 3 short stretching sessions. 

Actuals were:
Monday - 
Swim with TPT, 1,250m in 45 mins.

Tuesday - Nothing.

Wednesday - Run 4.0 miles, 30mins. Outdoor swim 1,200m in 24 mins.

Thursday - Treadmill run 3.11 miles, 24 mins. Exercise bike 5.0 miles, 16mins.

Friday - Rest day.

Saturday - Bike 90.5 miles. 6 hrs 28mins.


Sunday - Run 8.4 in 1 hour 18. Outdoor swim 1,200m in 34 mins.



Result - 
Swim 2.3 miles (3,650 m). Bike 95.5 miles. Run 15.5 miles. 0 core and 0 stretching sessions.


No comments:

Post a Comment