Monday 8 July 2013

Training Review - Week 27 - July 1 to 7



Monday was my usual swim session with TPT. Decided to ride there and back. Seemed like a good plan on the way out as we easily rolled the 13 miles there in 48 minutes. However, I had to bail on the swim session again as it messed up my shoulder and back. I have had enough of quitting swim sessions, so I am not going to go back for a while now. The tension in my shoulder and back that stopped me swimming then pulled my hip and back out of line and riding home was agony and took over an hour. That was the final straw for Aberfeldy. If I turned up and had that sort of problem during the swim then I would be in real trouble. Loch Tay is much bigger and more exposed than my normal outdoor swims and the course means everyone gets more spread out and further from the rescue boats. Also there is also no way that I could ride or run if my back or shoulder gave me problems on the day. On top of that the fight I am now having to go through with Wiggle for getting my TT bike repaired, or replaced, or refunded means I would have to use my old road bike for it.

Tuesday I was still not able to run as my back and hip were still a mess from Monday night. Monday and Tuesday it took left over post-surgery painkillers to eventually get me some sleep.

Wednesday I still felt crap but had to go and collect my car from it's MOT so ran the 3 miles to get it. Mile splits were 9:40, 8:41, 7:42. Which looks like I was getting faster and more comfortable as I was going, but is skewed by traffic lights and hills and still at the end I was left with the feeling that someone is stabbing me in the hip every 5th step or so.

Thursday, I got distracted from training by selling my car. In other good news, Wiggle have let common sense take over and will let the local bike shop fix the TT bike and they will foot the bill. This potentially puts me back on for Aberfeldy if I can get my back and hip sorted.

Friday, life got in the way again as I went to another job interview and I wasn't home till late. I did a stretching session and as much rollering as I could handle. 

Saturday I planned to go for a long run but got called in to work in the morning and had a lot of chores and gardening to do in the afternoon. Did do some more stretching and rollering in the evening. And it was my birthday, I am now 37.

Sunday was another nightmare day. Pretty much sums up my whole week. I arranged to go out for 60 miles on the bike with some people, but got stuck in traffic on the way there and was a couple of minutes late. Thought about chasing them down but decided that wasn't possible. So decided to just ride the route on my own. 10 minutes and a wrong turn later and I was back at the start and already feeling crap. So I changed plans to do a shorter route just into Inverurie and then round the Inverurie triathlon course. Hated every minute of the 5 miles into Inverurie and was almost in tears when I got there. Was all I could do to turn round and pedal back to the car.

I cant understand why I am so empty, especially this week. The pain and painkillers I have had to take for my hip and my hayfever are all minor parts of this, but they don't get anywhere near explaining how physically empty I have been this week. I have a long week planned for next week but can't see how I will get through any single day of it if I feel like this. So that is going to be my go / no-go check. If I don't make all of next week's end-of-week targets then I am going to withdraw from Aberfeldy. 

Also, in case it isn't obvious. I am having real problems with depression and mood swings again. 

And just to round off my week my pc has just died. I had most of the important stuff backed up on either my portable hard drive or my laptop and I have managed to cable the internals to my spare pc as a slave and looks like I am successfully pulling the rest off the master drive of the crashed pc, but with 8 hours of file transferring to go. Still need to get a replacement and set it up, which is a hassle I could do without.

Also as this is the second to die this year and both are younger than my parents machine I will need to look at upgrading theirs before they have a similar crash.


So targets for last week (Week 27) were:

Target totals - Swim >2 miles. Bike >50 miles. Run >25 miles. One run over 9 miles. 2 short core and 2 short stretching sessions.

Actuals were:

Monday - Bike 13.4 miles in 48mins. Swim 850m in 30 mins. Bike 13.4 miles in 61 mins.

Tuesday - Nothing.

Wednesday - Run 3.1 miles in 26 mins.

Thursday - Nothing.

Friday - Nothing. Stretching and rollering.

Saturday - Gardening. Stretching and rollering.

Sunday -  Bike 12.6 miles in 56 mins.


Result - 
Swim 0.5 miles (850 m). Bike 39.4 miles. Run 3.1 miles. 0 runs over 9 miles. 0 core and 1 stretching sessions.

No comments:

Post a Comment