Monday 22 July 2013

Training Review - Week 29 - July 15 to 21


Monday I took a nice easy ride out to Portlethen to see Dexter, and then back again. More lumps on that route than I expected but I barely notice them now. Cairn O Mount showed me where my limit was. If I have a hard week in my legs, on a really hot day, without my hayfever prep I can still pedal most of the way up the meanest hill I have ever seen. Anything smaller or when I am better prepared is not going to bother me any more.

Tuesday I really struggled with my run. Was much too hot at 26 degrees. Also in need of a rest day, as I am still paying for Cairn O Mount on Sunday. Had to cut my run at 4 miles to stop for a drink. And then struggled make it to an hour. Tomorrow is my only chance to swim this week so keeping that but reshuffling the rest of the week. Will drop tomorrows run and move my rest day to Thursday.

Three cans of coke, 2 pints of juice, an ice lolly and two cups of green tea later and I am still too hot and massively thirsty. Suspect tomorrows swim at Knockburn might be non-wetsuit.

Wednesday I stuck to my revised plan just to swim. Did 4 laps at Knockburn. 3 in the wetsuit at 12:20 a lap, and then one without it in 14:30. Furthest I have swum in a single session, didn't even realise that until afterwards.

Thursday my legs felt much better, but I decided to stick with the rest day. I did my stretching session and my core session.

That left me still looking for both my 10 mile runs, about 65 on the bike, and a brick. So the only way I could do the runs was to split them to Friday evening and Sunday. My nice 22 mile bike loop could go in before the run on Sunday, making that a pretty heavy, but survivable brick. That leaves me looking for 43 on the bike on Saturday. 

So having sorted that out I did my first 10 mile run on Friday evening. It was pretty hot, and felt really slow, but I got round in under 90 minutes. A few tight spots still showing up from last weekend's efforts so it will be onto the roller once I put the keyboard down.

Saturday morning I woke up with a sore throat. At first I thought it was hayfever so I took an anti-histamine and then made breakfast. But it still wasn't any better by the time I was ready to go out on the bike. So I added a couple of squirts of the nose spray and sat down for 20 minutes to let breakfast settle and for the spray to work. Woke up three hours later. So now I think it might be a bug or something, but it is still just a sore throat and no other obvious symptoms so I gave it a spray of chloraseptic to kill the pain and went out on the bike anyway. 

Then I looked out the window and it was a bit cloudy, so I packed my magic raincoat and thermal sleeves and hit the road. Did an easy 3 hours solo ride. The magic raincoat worked it's usual wonder and the clouds disappeared after less than 5 miles. This means that I am now typing this in between layering on coats of after sun.


Sunday, I got up feeling worse. The sore throat has graduated to a proper cold. Tried the same trick as yesterday of breakfast then having a nap but it didn't help this time as I couldnt get to sleep. The chloraseptic might have covered the sore throat but it wouldn't have done anything about the coughing and the blocked nose. So the new plan for today is to try and get out in the sun and do some gardening and wash the car. And if I feel a bit better late in the afternoon I might try and roll the bike for an hour.

Didn't get any better. Got significantly worse. Crashed on the sofa for a few hours in the afternoon.  Been on the lemsip and strepsils between naps. Managed to clean and service the road bike in the afternoon but was in no state to take it out on the road.

That is the last of the real big weeks out of the way now. And despite missing sunday it still comes out as a fairly big week. The next two weeks are just ticking over and getting some race practice, and doing a recce of the bike course. Then into my 2 week taper from there.


So targets for last week (Week 29) were:

Target totals - Swim >1 miles. Bike >90 miles. Run >25 miles. 2 runs over 10 miles. 1 short core and 1 short stretching session

Actuals were:


Monday - Road bike 25.3 miles in 1hr 43mins. 

Tuesday - Easy run 6.6 miles in 59 mins.

Wednesday - Swim 4 laps of Knockburn. 2,400m in 56mins. 

Thursday - Rest Day.

Friday - Long run 10.2 miles in 90mins.

Saturday - Easy ride 42.5 miles in 2 hours 59mins.

Sunday -  Sick day.

Result - 
Swim 1.5 miles (2,400 m). Bike 67.8 miles. Run 16.8 miles. 1 runs over 10 miles. 1 core and 1 stretching sessions.

No comments:

Post a Comment