Monday 15 July 2013

Training Review - Week 28 - July 8 to 14


Monday, I stuck to my plan to skip swimming. Even though the session looked like it had been rewritten specifically to minimise risk to my shoulder. I also stuck to my plan to ride 25 miles. Before leaving I dug out every trick in my anti-allergy bag; from having a shower, through taking the pills, and the nose spray, to hanging my training clothes in the shower, wearing my wraparound sunglasses, covering the inside of my nose in vaseline, ... . I rode out to Inverurie and then back again, chasing some Strava segments on the way back. Split into 2 rides, with a 10 minute stop in the middle. But covered the 25 miles in 90 minutes, averaging over 17 miles per hour on a pretty lumpy route. Was in "the red zone" for a couple of sprint sections but generally felt pretty good and could comfortably have gone round again in something similar. 

Tuesday, was a long run. Had a hassle beforehand as last week's dead computer was the one with all my music and which my iPhone is synced to. Meant I had to spend about an hour  trying to repair my phone before I could go. Probably for the best as it is meant to be less hayfever-y later in the evening. Started fairly slow, legs were heavy from pushing the bike on Monday night. But from about 5 miles in things started to click and I was going really well on the way back. Plan was 10 miles in about 90-95 minutes, did 10.7 in 90 mins. This run also took me to over 400 run miles for the year.

Wednesday I did a triple session. Started with an easy 4 mile run to try and get my legs moving. they were a bit stiff from the previous 2 days but still got round a really hilly course in 44 mins. Then I went in for a swim. Plan was 3 laps but was feeling pretty empty after 2 and wasn't enjoying fighting my way through the reeds that have shot up over the last couple of weeks. Took 27 mins for 2 laps which is pretty slow compared to how I have been going. This is fair enough for how tired I felt, and second lap was a minute quicker than the first so probably a bit of an effect from being off swimming for a while and needing to get the feel back. I had planned to then do a quick transition and straight onto a bike ride. I decided instead to take the time to dry off a bit and get some food and a drink. then took the TT bike round the Knockburn sprint route, 11 miles in 39 mins. 

Thursday, I did what was meant to be an easy brick. Nice gentle 20 mile ride and a 3 mile run. I took my road bike so that it would be nice and gentle. As I rolled out of my driveway I figured my legs were pretty empty from the previous 3 weeks but I would manage to get round if I took it nice and carefully. That lasted for the first mile, then I had to do a bit of weaving in and out of the traffic jam and realised that I actually felt good. Decided to pick it up a bit for a long Strava segment on my route and from there all the way home I was flying along. Averaged out at over 17 mph again for the third day this week. This ride also took me to over 1300 miles for the year. 1 hour 18 mins for 22.6 miles.

Did a quick transition and went out for my run, again planning to take it easy. Got to the first mile in 8 mins and decided to slow down. Did the second mile in 7:40, so tried to slow down again. Did the third mile in 7:03. 5k in 23 mins, second fastest I have ever done for that loop, and have never tried it off the back of a week like this, or straight off the bike. Really pleased.

Friday I was scheduled for a rest day but went for an easy swim just to finish off my miles for the week and ease everything off. 

Saturday I went out for a group run. Was pretty warm despite being overcast but we were chugging along at quite a comfortable pace. Averaging 9 minute miles and covered 13 miles. This is my full Aberfeldy run distance (ok about 160m short but who is counting that?) in under 2 hours, which is about what I would like to do on race day. Really pleased to get that in, especially after quite a heavy week.

Sunday I went out with a friend and a couple of her workmates for a long ride. First trip over the notorious Cairn O Mount. I can understand now why it has it's reputation. It is an evil climb, which I couldn't manage without a stop and a bit of bike pushing. Think that it is partly because I forgot all my hayfever tricks in the morning and partly because it came after nearly 95 ride miles and 30 run miles, but not sure if I would have been able on fresh legs either. Another attempt will have to wait till after race season though.

In the evening, between coats of after sun, I did my stretching and core sessions to round out the week.
For all the grumpiness and disappointment of last week this has been completely the opposite. Everything has been easy, despite going faster and farther. Maybe should have tried nostrils full of vaseline sooner.

So my aim for the week was to either hit all my targets or confirm my withdrawal from Aberfeldy. Hit all the targets, despite them being massive.




So targets for last week (Week 28) were:

Target totals - Swim >1 miles. Bike >100 miles. Run >30 miles. 1 run over 10 miles. 1 short core and 1 short stretching session. 

Actuals were:


Monday - TT bike 13.4 miles in 48 mins and 12.1 miles in 43 mins.


Tuesday - Long run 10.7 miles, 90 minutes. 


Wednesday - Run 4 miles in 33mins. Swim 1,200m in 27mins. Bike 11.2 miles in 39mins.

Thursday - Road bike 22.6 miles in 1hr 18mins. Run 3.1 miles in 24mins.


Friday - Swim 800m in 19 mins.


Saturday - Run 13 miles in 1hr 59mins.


Sunday -  Bike 48.5 in 3hrs 53mins. 1 core session. 1 stretching session.


Result - 
Swim 1.25 miles (2,000 m). Bike 107.7 miles. Run 30.8 miles. 2 runs over 10 miles. 1 core and 1 stretching sessions.

No comments:

Post a Comment