Monday 9 September 2013

Training Review - Week 36 - Sept 2 to 8


Monday was back at Inverurie pool. The month long revamp has gone really well. The showers still don't work, and two of them have been removed. The whole pool has been retiled, which is great, but they have fitted a stupid set around the top of the waterline that are laid on top of the others and create a stupid little edge just where I put my feet to turn. Despite this I managed to get some turn practice in. They are getting slightly better and are still slower than my touch turns but I am at least able to put them in whenever I feel like it.


Tuesday was a trip to Offshore Europe. It comes to Aberdeen every two years. I didn't go last time round as I couldn't handle the crowds. Managed to get through it this time. I was a bit stressed from it though so decided against going out to train in the evening.


Wednesday I went out to Knockburn. It is getting a bit chilly, but should survive at least one more week of it. As I came round to finish my second lap I caught up to a guy who was doing his laps in just his dookers, so I can't really complain about the cold yet. Forgot the watch but think the cold and the waves made it fairly slow. Had the very light weights out.


Thursday, I have agreed to go mountain biking at the weekend but haven't tested my new brakes. So took the mountain bike out for a quick spin around Dyce. Just an easy 5 mile roll around town. everything seems to be working. Bike position feels ridiculous after 8 months on the road and TT bikes. And the brakes being soft for half the pull before they grab is not how I like it, but they do work, so no excuses. Had the very light weights out again.


Friday, I went for a quick run round Dyce. Did my 3k loop in under 23 minutes. I should be really pleased with this as it is the fastest I have gone since 2009. But it is just really frustrating that I can do that, on a a windy day, still with the knee giving me problems and not feeling particularly fast, but as soon as I get near a race I run like a complete donkey.

Saturday was first real mountain bike ride of the year. Went out to Loch Muick and did a very hilly 15 miles. Changed the wheels on Friday night, and apparently the brake issues are linked to the wear on the pads as the newer pads on my other wheels behave much more how I like them. I also lubed the chain. Should probably have paid more attention to the condition of it and the gear alignment though. Snapped twice during the ride.


The route was a lot tougher than I am used to though. I was ok on most of the Land Rover tracks but my mountain biking skills were pretty rusty so I was struggling on anything on the rougher tracks and was struggling with my nerves on all the descents. That got gradually worse instead of better. Will need to go back to somewhere closer to my skill level for a bit of a spin soon.


My knee and back were a bit twitchy as well.


This leaves me looking for 30 bike miles and 7 run miles tomorrow. Don't think my legs will be in any state for that size of a brick so it will probably be one or the other. I could take more credit for today's ride as it was almost 4 hours of hard work, which would be the equivalent of about 60 road miles.

Sunday, started with the stretching session that I have been avoiding all week. Seems lots of mountain biking muscles have not been used recently and needed some work before I could even think about doing a proper session. I decided to take credit for the hours on the bike against the lack of miles yesterday, so went out to run. Planned 7 miles on my out and back, snuck in under an hour. Then the very light weights again.


This week I passed 520 miles of running. That is my end-of-year target passed already, with 17 weeks left to go. 600 looks like it will be comfortable, 700 looks possible.

I also passed 1,700 bike miles. My original target for the year was 1612, so that is comfortably done. My revised target was 1820, which also looks like it will be comortable, the next possible target would be to go for something like 2000. That looks possible at first glance but depends how much I have to shift to mountain biking for the weather.



So targets for last week (Week 36) were: 
Swim >2 miles. Bike >50 miles. Run >12 miles. 2 short core, 2 short light weights and 2 short stretching sessions.

Actuals were:

Monday - Swim with TPT. 2,100m in 55 mins. 150m reps all between 2:32 and 2:40.

Tuesday - Offshore Europe.


Wednesday - Swim at Knockburn. 2 laps, 1200m. Light weights.

Thursday - MTB 5 miles, in 31 mins. Light weights. 

Friday - 5k run, in 23mins. 

Saturday - MTB 15 miles, in 3 hours 42 mins.

Sunday - Run 7.2 miles, in 59 mins 30. Stretching and light weights.



Result - 
Swim 2.1 miles (3,300 m). Bike 20 miles. Run 10.3 miles. 0 core, 4 short light weights and 1 stretching sessions.

No comments:

Post a Comment