Monday 16 September 2013

Training Review - Week 37 - Sept 9 to 15


Monday started with a surprise time trial at swimming. Felt absolutely terrible during the warm up. Was all set to call it a day and go home. Decided instead that I would do an easy 750 time trial and see how I felt from there. Took a nice easy start and was soon getting a great steady tow of the girl in front. Sat on her feet until 750m. By that point I was feeling much more comfortable but felt a bit guilty about taking the free ride so I passed her and took a turn at doing the work. Pushed on and ended up clocking 27mins 10. That is a comfortable PB. It is over a minute under my time from Huntly Standard last year. And Huntly was set in my tri-suit, with race adrenalin, in a very clean race, with a nice tow....

Tuesday was a real struggle. Went out for what should have been an easy run and was completely empty. This has happened a few times lately, including just before Monday's swim. Sometimes it goes away, sometimes it doesn't. Today it didn't. Felt absolutely terrible for the whole drag around it. 

Wednesday was a trip to Knockburn. I could give this a whole blog to itself. I was really tired when I got there so I decided to skip the run and just get in my swim and go home. I had the whole loch to myself and it was picture perfect. The water was smooth as polished glass and the only sound was me. I took the first lap easy as I tried to deal with the cold, but somehow I came round in 12 mins 30. I had planned to go next week but since the water was so smooth I decided instead to see what I had left in the tank after Monday and put in a fast lap. If it went well, I could call my outdoor swimming season done and end on a high. If it was slow I could come back next week for one more. I got round on 11:42. Not quite my fastest lap ever of Knockburn, ... by 2 seconds. And the cold was worth a lot more than that. Pretty pleased and going to call that a year for outdoor swimming. Did a short light weights session as well.

Thursday I went out with a friend for a run in the rain. It was surprisingly warm. Clocked the rest of my run miles for the week though. Weekend plans are set to ride both days. So I can have a proper rest day on Friday.

Saturday I went to Alford for the KT Bike Run. They have changed the course slightly from last year which adds on a couple of miles, and makes direct comparison a bit pointless. Probably wouldn't be a fair comparison anyway as last year I was riding fairly hard on my own while this year I pedalled round with a friend. We took it relatively easy for the first half and then upped the pace a little on the way back in. 

Sunday I was going to test ride Huntly bike route for next week's race but my car was giving me problems on Saturday and I didn't want to risk trying to put 2 hours into it with the engine management light on and a slow puncture. (You would think at least one of the tyre suppliers in a city full of 4x4's would carry big enough tyres, but apparently not so I have had to order my own off the internet). So I replanned to just ride 20 miles from home. But the weather wasn't playing along. Wind in the morning was horrendous, BBC weather has it dropping in the afternoon, just in time for the rain. By the time it calmed down in the afternoon I felt terrible and couldn't even drag myself off the sofa. I was totally exhausted and had a headache for most of the day. I did a late set of the core, stetching and light weights just before bed.


So it looks like a fairly poor week on the numbers. But to be honest it was probably just a bit more sensible. I haven't had a proper rest since Aberfeldy and I am in serious need of a proper rest. With the weather changing and the clock change coming soon as well I am really starting to struggle a bit with fatigue. Another week to get me through Huntly and then I am going to try and take a more sensible break.



So targets for last week (Week 37) were: 
Swim >2 miles. Bike >50 miles. Run >12 miles. 2 short core, 2 short light weights and 2 short stretching sessions.

Actuals were:

Monday - Swim with TPT. 1,500m time trial in 27mins 10.

Tuesday - Easy run 5.6 miles in 50 mins.


Wednesday - Swim at Knockburn. 2 laps in 24 mins 40. Short light weights.

Thursday - Run 4.5 miles in 41mins.

Friday -  Rest day.

Saturday - KT Bike Run. 29.6 miles in 1 hr 47. Stretching and short light weights.

Sunday - Rest day. Core, stretching and light weights.



Result - 
Swim 1.9 miles (3,050 m). Bike 29.6 miles. Run 10.1 miles. core, 3 short light weights and 2 stretching sessions.

No comments:

Post a Comment