Monday 3 June 2013

Training Review - Week 22 - May 27 to June 2



Monday was a shit start to this week as well. Had to quit swimming early again. Back and shoulder cramped up for the third week in a row. I don't even know how much I did this week. I was definitely up to 850m when I stopped the session. Then I tried to paddle up and down to try and ease it off and to get some easy distance in but couldn't even manage that.



If it happens again next week then I am going to take a break from pool swimming for a while. This also really bites at my depression. I know I am swimming well, both open water sessions last week were really good. I can't really understand why the pool sessions keep going so badly wrong.



I am not getting anywhere near enough sleep either. So I am exhausted all through the week. This makes me grumpy all the time, which means people behave differently around me and this in turn makes me more depressed.



Tuesday didn't get any better. Didn't have anyone planned to train with, so just didn't bother. Then whilst making my dinner I twisted my knee bending to get pork chops out of the oven. Have it all strapped up and a bag of ice on it now. A handful of pills has taken the edge off but it still aches underneath that and my back and shoulder and hip are all still tight from yesterday as well. This might be what caused the knee to go as it is on the same side.



Being depressed is also messing with my eating habits. As well as missing training days I am eating all the time, or not at all. I eat junk between meals, I eat big meals, and I am still hungry so I eat more junk. Then because I am feeling fat and bloated I get more depressed, that makes me feel empty again and I go and eat some chocolate and crisps to cheer me up. Then other days I just don't eat at all, and don't even notice till it gets to bed time and I realise I haven't had anything.



Wednesday I was still having a crap day. Dragged myself out to Knockburn after work. Did the same run as last week but struggled every step and still went nearly 6 minutes slower. Then swam two laps, each a minute slower than last week. On the plus side, I did drag myself out and do the session.  



The depression and the lack of sleep is messing with my concentration and memory again. Struggling at work sometimes. Have caught myself a few times this week getting to places and not remembering the drive there. That is dangerous enough in the car but could have been even worse when I found myself half way through an open water swim and had no idea what I was doing and would be even worse if it was to happen on the bike. 



Had to go to the Doctor for something else. He said take a month off the bike, then changed his mind to two weeks, then changed his mind to, "just don't be silly about the miles and stop if it hurts". All those changes without any active prompting from me. Either he reads faces very well, or he decided that there was no need in the first place.



Thursday I put the TT bike on the turbo for 15 minutes just to fiddle about a bit with my position and to check everything over before racing it on Saturday. Also checked that the cadence sensor was working with my Garmin. Seems that I have to reset it every time I switch between bikes. Bit annnoying but workable. But for all intents and purposes this was another day off. Did do my core session though.



Friday I kept my planned rest day before racing on Saturday. Did my stretching session.



Saturday I went to Ming the Merciless Duathlon which I will cover in a race report. So just the numbers here.  



Sunday I took the TT bike out again. Moved the seat back to where it was on Wednesday night. Then comfortably roared along at 17mph for 47 mins, despite barely being able to walk up and down stairs this morning. Wish I had biked anything like that yesterday. 



For the week I should be fairly disappointed. I barely made my bike target, and didn't make any of the others. But instead I am really chuffed. The long run on Saturday went better than I could have hoped. The missed miles from Tuesday and the stretching and core sessions were due to depression rather than injury or tiredness and they would have taken me easily clear of targets. The swim target as a bit greedy for just two sessions when I have had recent pool problems and was under time pressure to get to the Doctors on Wednesday.


So targets for last week (Week 22) were:

Swim >2 miles. Bike >45 miles. Run >20 miles. 3 short core and 3 short stretching sessions. 


Actuals were:
Monday - Swim with TPT, 1,000m?


Tuesday - Nothing.


Wednesday - Run 4 miles, 36 mins. Outdoor swim 1,200m, 26mins.


Thursday - 15 mins on turbo, ~ 3 miles. Core session


Friday - Rest day. Stretching session.


Saturday - Ming the Merciless Duathlon. Run 14 miles, Bike 29 miles.



Sunday - Easy ride on TT bike. 47 mins, 13.5 miles.




Result - 
Swim 1.4 miles (2,200 m). Bike 45.5 miles. Run 18 miles. 1 core and 1 stretching sessions.

No comments:

Post a Comment