Monday 7 October 2013

Training Review - Week 40 - Sept 30 to Oct 6


Ok, so resting is done with. Back on it this week.

Monday started with a move to lane 4 for swimming. Not entirely by choice, but this time it was almost empty in lane 4, and busy in lane 3 so I moved up. Was a tough session. 4x150m warm-up and then 8x2x100m aiming for under 1,500m pace. Clocking 2,250m is my longest ever pool session. I have gone (very slightly) further at Knockburn, but that was in a wet suit, for a long steady swim with no breaks. It was really pleasing, but it was also a reality check, the one serious guy in lane 4 was in a completely different class. Did his 16 rep before I finished my 13th. Nearly 20% faster than me, and didn't look like he was working at all. 

Tuesday I was meant to run, but it got cancelled. So I went back to the DIY. And somehow managed to blow out the lights to my back garden, my kitchen and my office, without blowing a fuse in the fuse box. It is likely that fixing this will mean accessing under the floor. Which in turn means lifting the laminate for the entire kitchen. My guess, or maybe hope, is that the either the extension builders or the previous owner (professional sparky but you couldn't fucking tell from the mess he made of the electrics throughout the house) fitted a second fuse box for the extension somewhere under the kitchen floor and then looped these lights from it rather than off the main light circuit. 

Wednesday I got the mountain bike out, and rolled round to Kirkhill with a friend. Was pretty leisurely, but somehow managed to take a King of the Mountain on Strava by accident and move a few places up a much tougher Strava leaderboard on purpose.

Thursday was all about work and driving to Troon for my cousin's wedding. Was a long way from a rest day. Was exhausted by the time we arrived.

Friday and Saturday I got out for short runs with Dexter along a cycle path in Troon. It was hard to tell which of us was struggling most, but am going to let him claim it as he only had his stitches out midweek. 

Not going to cover the wedding. It was good as weddings go. But I am still not able to deal to well with crowds, even when half of them are family.

Sunday I went out with a group for the Deeside Falling Leaves ride. Was 65 tough miles. Actually it wasn't really that tough. I have ridden pretty much all of it before on other rides. But from about 50 miles on I was really struggling. I would go really well on flats and downhills, but even the slightest little up-slope and I was straight out the back of the pack. On one of them I was down to less than 3 miles/hour for a fairly mediocre climb. 65 miles makes it my third longest ride this year though, so happy to even get round it on no form. 

Have had a check on the scales this evening, on the assumption that burning over 4500 calories today would be measurable. No wonder I was struggling on the hills. I am the wrong side of 13 stone / 82.5kg. I don't track weight on my training spreadsheet but I am fairly confident that this is the heaviest I have ever been. No wonder my kilt was a bit tight on Friday.

So this actually totals out as quite a big week again, but mostly because Sunday was pretty extreme for a first week back.



So targets for last week (Week 40) were: 
Nothing. 

Actuals were:

Monday - Swim with TPT. 2,250m in 56mins.

Tuesday - Rest day.


Wednesday - MTB 10.9 miles, 1 hr 27 mins.

Thursday - Rest day.

Friday - Jog 6 miles in 61 mins.

Saturday - Jog 2.5 miles in 30 mins.

Sunday -  Falling Leaves sportive. 4 hours 55mins (including a 30 minute bacon roll stop in Ballater).




Result - Swim 1.4 miles (2,250m). Bike 75.9 miles. Run 8.5 miles. 0 short core, 0 short light weights and 0 short stretching sessions.

No comments:

Post a Comment